– 6 in 10 U.S. teens NEVER had sex! (2015 Youth Risk Behavior Survey)
– 6 in 10 U.S. teens who did have sex say they wished they had WAITED!
– Youth who abstain from sex get BETTER GRADES in school and are less likely to drop out.
– More than 4 in 10 children in the U.S. are now born to unwed mothers (vs. less than 1 in 10 in 1960).
– Having children AFTER getting married and after the teen years DECREASES the risk of children growing up in poverty, having social-emotional problems, dropping out of school, engaging in teen sex, and having a child outside of marriage.
– Couples who live together before marriage have higher rates of marital conflict, infidelity, and divorce.
– Couples who delayed sex until marriage report the HIGHEST LEVELS of sexual satisfaction!
– Dating violence is 5 times more likely in teen relationships that involve sex. Young women 16-24 experience the highest rates of violence at the hands of someone they know.
– 3 out of 10 teenage girls get pregnant at least once. About a third get abortions. 20% of teen couples using condoms as birth control become pregnant within one year.
– About 50% of sexually active youth and young adults get a sexually transmitted disease (STD) by age 25. About 80% of people who have an STD don’t know it, but serious consequences can arise later…
– 4 out of 10 sexually active teens are infected with one of more than 27 common and widespread STDs!
– Several STDs are INCURABLE. Some can lead to infertility (inability to have children), child deformities and even death!
– You can get an STD such as herpes or HPV even if you use a condom because such infections are transmitted by skin-to-skin contact.
– Oral sex can spread herpes and other STDs to the mouth and throat.
– Herpes and syphilis can be transmitted to a baby during birth, causing brain damage or even death.
– Rates of depression and attempted suicide for sexually active girls (12 to 16) are 6 times higher than for virgins and 3 times higher for sexually active high school girls.
– 12- to 17-year-olds are among the largest consumers of online pornography, not exactly the greatest preparation for a healthy relationship!